Video Journalist - Bangkok
BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences.
BBC Thai on Facebook was launched in July 2014 to bring impartial and balanced news to Thailand where media has been censored following a military coup. To build on its success, a news site at BBCThai.com was launched in November 2017 to make our digital news offer more comprehensive and also to further strengthen BBC’s position in a market of 67 million people.
A team of journalists and producers are based in Bangkok, working closely and collaboratively with colleagues in London (including in BBC News), and in other locations across the world, to deliver the best service for BBC audiences.
- To produce stories for the website, social media and other digital platforms, filming and editing your own material
- To ensure content is accurate, informative, and meets the BBC’s editorial standards, while striving for creative and imaginative output
- To originate story ideas for broadcast, digital and multimedia output from Thailand and on occasion the region or from elsewhere in the world, in a range of platforms; to organise and conduct interviews for broadcast
- To suggest and research stories or story elements from Thailand and the wider region; to suggest and develop special projects in Thai and English
- To work with colleagues in the Thai Service and elsewhere in the BBC to ensure that material produced in Bangkok is shared with other BBC outlets, including English language programmes and/or other language services
Please see the attached Job Description for more information.
The Ideal Candidate
You will be able to communicate effectively in both Thai and English (written and spoken). Experience of working in a similar position in a news environment is required as well as excellent general knowledge of regional and international current affairs.You will have basic skills of shooting photo and video, and of gathering journalistic material through other technical means. Knowledge of video editing principles and experience with Final Cut or Adobe Premier or other video editing software. Proficiency in IT skills, including Microsoft Office programmes. Practical experience and extensive knowledge of the Internet and an understanding of the potential of new technology is essential as well as an eagerness to master and use new technologies.
Contract: Full time - Fixed term contract 12 months
Local terms and conditions apply
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Bangkok.
About the Company
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here