Test Engineer - Broadcast Systems (Automation)
Our systems are critical to both BBC News On-air and BBC News Online and provide graphic, data presentation and automation capabilities for our television broadcast output.
We provision media movement through our media asset management system that uses embedded video production tools for our editorial colleagues nationally and internationally.
Our products are deployed to numerous countries permitting field journalists and content creators to upload, search, edit and combine content, from a variety of different sources.
It is a crucial time for our team. We are looking to interface with other systems across the BBC whilst seeking to optimise user experience and to support rapid delivery of our products into this converging online/linear space. We are undergoing important and exciting architectural transformations to our systems, transitioning them into optimal scalable web based products. Your role sits in this team to devise and maintain test frameworks in support of this vision.
You will work alongside other test engineers and be responsible for testing software delivered to a high quality ensuring that high test coverage is maintained in a fast-paced development environment.
In addition to test automation, you will be required to solve testing problems by taking an innovative approach to problem solving, whether through the use of technology creating bespoke test frameworks or introducing a new pragmatic way of working that improves efficiency. We are seeking an individual who is pro-active in bringing ideas to the team and is confident to take the lead rather than waiting for direction. You’ll have the opportunity to engage with your test peers across News Product & systems and the wider BBC to collaboratively discuss ideas, issues, test tools/ techniques and how to advocate best practice in your daily routines.
You’ll have access to BBC Academy training programmes, the opportunity to attend technology conferences, and other reasonable resources you find necessary to progress as a tester.
- Taking ownership of the test plan for a particular deliverable.
- Taking responsibility to ensure all necessary testing procedures are carried out and standards are met for a release.
- Work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams with product owners, business analysts, designers, developers, architects and testers to design automated integration tests as well as automated regression tests.
- Perform manual exploratory system and regression testing in all environments and across multiple operating systems.
- Working towards increasing the scope of the automation suite by analysing bug data, and writing neat, optimised test code.
- Pairing with developers to ensure we have a robust and well written suite of automated acceptance tests.
- Contributing to discussions on test process and procedural improvements.
- Gaining good understanding of various technologies. There will be a requirement to learn and develop skills in new technologies, within short periods of time.
- Reporting defects and providing progress reports during the testing cycle.
- Contributing to discussions on test process and procedural improvements
The Ideal Candidate
- Ability to produce quality, reusable and maintainable automated tests.
- Experience testing high volume, complex applications including client server and web technologies
- Ability to track down the root cause of a defect using debugging tools such as Firebug, and to analyse stack traces.
- Ability to pair with developers to implement Acceptance Tests.
- Browser compatibility testing and web testing (desktop and multi-device)
- Ability to understand business requirements and create acceptance criteria to design test cases
- Understand the level of detail required when documenting clear test reports.
- Experience of Agile Programming, pairing and working within a collaborative team.
- Understanding of Behaviour/Test Driven Development.
- Working knowledge of a Continuous Integration system to create builds, e.g. Jenkins/GitHub.
Desirable Skill List
- Experience with Cloud architecture and the core AWS technologies.
- Pro-actively learn the domain and architecture of the system.
- Understanding of web accessibility issues and appropriate methods for testing these.
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures, integration patterns and RESTful web services.
- Healthy interest in upcoming techniques and technology and an ability to describe to us something you're passionate about.
Grade 7 (proposed band C)
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the Company
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.