Somali Multimedia Broadcast Journalist (Planning)
We are looking for a Multimedia Journalist with excellent spoken and written Somali to join the team and contribute to the planning and delivery of content for the TV operation. Training will be given but you need to demonstrate that you are an experienced journalist who can deliver creative ideas for TV and Digital and a desire to report the news in a fair and unbiased way for a Somali audience.
A career at the BBC offers you an opportunity to tell stories that can change lives. The aim of BBC Africa is to showcase the diverse ideas and aspirations from across the continent.
Some of your main duties in this outstanding role will be:
- To put forward and develop original ideas and treatments for stories relevant to Somali speaking audiences, and achieve high impact journalism across all platforms.
- To produce versatile, accurate, informed and interesting news and programming.
- A strong knowledge of womens affairs and news stories relevant to Somali women and develop strong contacts for Somali women.
- To maintain professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBCs Editorial guidelines.
- Experience of planning for TV news content and understanding what elements are required to produce fair and balanced output.
- To ensure the commissioning of new innovative digital content which is shareable across African languages and the rest of the BBC World Service.
- To plan for big news events and communicate plans to the wider BBC.
The Ideal Candidate
- Outstanding fluency and up to date knowledge of spoken and written Somali
- Fluent in written and spoken English and able to communicate effectively.
- Relevant experience as a journalist, both in originating material and editing the work of others.
- A good knowledge of what works on TV and digital platforms within the market.
- Proven track record of coming up with ideas and seeing them through to delivery, ideally in a creative or media environment.
- A passion for International news, African and Somali news and current affairs as well as history, social issues, business, arts/culture and sports.
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions Apply
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.