Software Team Lead, Systems Engineering
BBC News Web Engineering team delivers highly trusted news to readers all over the world, currently in 40 languages. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance, and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams, and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
We've expanding the World Service language services, bringing our journalism to more people than ever around the world with 11 new language services and a remit to reach a far wider audience than ever before.
Now is a great time to join us.
We're looking for a Software Engineering Team Lead to lead a development team focussed on adding new and improving the existing World Service online language services.
We’re looking for a senior software engineer with real experience in leading teams working across multiple projects. You’ll work with your team and with others to build new services and to establish and develop common approaches, because we don’t want to reinvent the wheel each time for each language service. You’ll contribute to our technology strategy, helping us to deliver consistently and iterate quickly. You’ll play a central role in expanding what we deliver to our expanding World Service audience. You'll be part of the leadership team for the Web Engineering group in BBC News.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience using the following technologies:
- CSS and HTML
- Distributed, public cloud architecture
- Knowledge of HTTP, Caching, CDNs, TLS and core Internet protocols and technologies
- Experience leading and mentoring software engineers
- Demonstrable proactive management of coding standards, testing and processes across a team.
- Good interpersonal skills and a cooperative approach to problem solving
- Understanding of the complexities of delivering content in different languages (such as right to left and non-Latin scripts)
- Understanding of the different devices and audience needs in different international locations
- A passion for News products
- Working in a Dev Ops / Continuous Delivery environment and operational support of live applications
- Experience recruiting software engineers
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the UK
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.