Software Engineering Team Lead/Software Development Team Lead/Engineering Manager - Fullstack JS
The BBC News Web Engineering teams deliver highly trusted news to readers all over the world in over 40 languages. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance, and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams, and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
We've expanding the World Service language service offerings, and this team is specifically looking at improving the World Service’s online audio-visual offering, including podcasts, live TV and Radio pages among many more.
We are hiring despite BBC redundancy programmes as much World Service funding is ring-fenced and provided by the FCO, not only via the license fee. This role and all of its team members are funded in this way.
We're looking for a Software Engineering Team Lead to lead a talented group of five Software Engineers.
We’re looking for someone with experience of managing teams before only. Ideally teams larger
than this one, as we intend to scale our team size in Glasgow in the coming years. The ideal candidate would still be able to be hands on and coding when necessary, but this is a should not a must.
You’ll contribute to our technology strategy, helping us to deliver consistently and iterate quickly.
You’ll play a central role in expanding what we deliver to our expanding World Service audience. You'll be a key part of the leadership team for the Web Engineering group in BBC News, which is why we’re particularly looking for experienced team managers.
The Ideal Candidate
Have experience of managed teams of at least five engineers
● Knowledge of HTTP, Caching, CDNs, TLS and core Internet protocols and technologies
● Experience leading and mentoring software engineers
● Demonstrable proactive management of coding standards, testing and processes across a team.
● Good interpersonal skills and a cooperative approach to problem solving
● Has managed a team of ten or more, or multiple small teams.
● Understanding of the complexities of delivering content in different languages (such as right to left and non-Latin scripts)
● Understanding of the different devices and audience needs in different international locations
● A passion for News products
● Working in a Dev Ops / Continuous Delivery environment and operational support of live applications
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the UK
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.