Software Engineering Team Lead - News WS2020
The BBC have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Software Engineering Team Lead to join and lead a small development group that is responsible for it’s products from end to end.
Now is a great time to join us. We’re working towards personalised features for our global audience and using the worldwide capabilities of public Cloud providers to help us serve that audience exactly what they want quickly and efficiently. At the same time we’re expanding the World Service into 11 new countries and languages and so will be serving an even larger global audience.
As the Software Engineering Team Lead, you’ll work with your team and with others on common approaches, because we don’t want to reinvent the wheel each time. You’ll contribute to our technology strategy, helping us to deliver consistently and iterate quickly. And you’ll play a significant part in our World Service 2020 programme, adding 11 new language sites and building out our platforms for the future.
We embrace emerging technologies and methods, and are currently building significant systems with Node.JS, Ruby, and PHP.
Some of the main responsibilities for this role are as below -
- Lead the design and development of effective software that meets given complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Ensure alignment of the teams products and services with BBC technology and architecture strategy
- Provide knowledge and best practice to the broader BBC in areas of deep expertise
- Ensure the team’s approach to testing is fit for purpose
- Lead integration of the software with monitoring and support tools
- Provide technical knowledge, insight and leadership to peers and colleagues
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Support product and departmental managers in communicating strategy and product fit and effectiveness to stakeholders at all levels
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Be an expert on the BBC’s operating environments whom team members can consult. Play a part in shaping those operating environments
- Ensure that the team’s technical product documentation is always complete, accurate and coherent
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle including out of hours support for incident resolution
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for someone with experience in the following -
- Extensive experience designing and writing robust software for large scale applications in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Expertise in multiple mainstream development frameworks
- Expertise in business domains relevant to the BBC
- Expertise with mainstream development and deployment tool chains. (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Expertise in database design and use in software applications
- Experience of open source practices
- Expertise in web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Expertise in test driven development and broader testing and QA concerns
- Leadership experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Expertise in choosing and applying design patterns
- Effective leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse and senior stakeholders effectively
- Takes responsibility for driving products and system to success
Location - London
Contract - Continuing
Grade - 9
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.