BBC News Web Engineering delivers trusted news to hundreds of millions of readers all over the world in 40 languages. In some parts of the world we are the only unbiased news service. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance, and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams, and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
Given the trust placed in BBC News, we work carefully and responsibly to deliver the best possible news service for the web.
"Want to help deliver some of the only unbiased journalism available in some parts of the world?
BBC News is one of the most popular sites in the UK and is trusted worldwide to deliver quality journalism across multiple devices."
We're looking for a Software Engineer to join our Reach and Languages team, based in New Broadcasting House in London W1.
Reach and Languages focus on extending the reach of BBC News to new readers around the world by improving our language support and pioneering new and engaging ways of discovering and exploring the latest selection of news content.
Day to day you’ll be building web components for our pages including high quality CSS at scale and accessible semantic HTML, improving our automated test coverage, developing and deploying multivariate tests, working with our page assembly configurations, integrating with internal APIs, raising and reviewing pull requests, working collaboratively with other developers, engaging with other web, frameworks and data teams, and helping with future feature planning.
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent front-end web development skills:
- HTML: Accessible, clean HTML5 markup.
- CSS. Developing Sass/CSS for a range of devices and browsers
- Fluency in at least one of the following server side language: Ruby, PHP, or Node.js
- A good understanding of User Experience (UX) and the ability to work with designers and wireframes to develop high-quality experiences
- AWS or similar cloud infrastructure and associated tooling.
- Test-driven development, code reviews and git-based workflows
- Good interpersonal skills and a cooperative approach to working and problem solving
- An interest in platform level technologies (e.g. queues, microservices, caches)
- Core AWS technologies
- Defining and developing high-volume, horizontally scalable web architectures
- DevOps and CI/CD environments
- Operational support of live applications
- An enthusiasm for delivering News for the Web
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.