Software Engineer (Java and Apache Camel)
This role is within the Systems Integration team in World Service Distribution, part of BBC News.
BBC News provides trusted World and UK news as well as local and regional perspectives.
The BBC World Service is the world's largest international broadcaster, broadcasts radio and television news, speech and discussions in over 30 languages to many parts of the world on analogue and digital shortwave platforms, Internet streaming, podcasting, satellite, DAB, FM and MW relays.
WS Distribution is responsible for getting World Service TV, Radio and online content to the audience and to partner TV and online partners.
The Systems Integration team provides an agile development capability to meet urgent needs and direct strategic innovation.
This work supports Business Development initiatives providing new ways to distribute our content and improves workflows within the BBC between production teams and broadcast and online systems.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications
- Review and give feedback on others’ code
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensure code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Support system integration in its operating environment
- Write and review technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
The Ideal Candidate
- Java Backend developer with significant hands on current Apache Camel experience.
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust production software
- Competence in one or more mainstream development languages and frameworks
- Competence with one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Knowledge of the web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Competence in test driven development and broader testing & QA concerns
- Competence in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Effective collaboration within a team – ability to speak up, challenge, agree and commit
- Experience of database design and use in software applications
- Takes responsibility for driving tasks to completion
- Understanding of designing & implementing for non-functional concerns
- Worked in a professional software development environment on several projects (including experience in testing, design and release)
- Experience of releasing their software to a production use case
- Participated in reviews and inspections of code (sat with a peer or someone more senior reviewing your code)
- Software Engineering or Computer Science Degree or equivalent
Contract: 12 month FTC/Attachment
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the UK.
About the Company
“Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation”
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.