Software Engineer - (Back End - Java)
The BBC have an opportunity for a passionate Java Software Engineer to join our Broadcast Systems Development Team.
The BBC are expanding so this is a very exciting time to join us!
Our products are core to the production and broadcast of BBC News programmes, bbc.co.uk/news, the BBC One Show as well as live events such as the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Glastonbury and Elections.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a cross-functional development team of experts in broadcast and software engineering. As part of an agile team you will use a Behaviour Driven Development approach for continuous delivery of features to our demanding News production teams.
To be successful in this role, some of the day-to-day responsibilities will be as below -
- To write, test and release quality Java code
- To liaise with Product Managers, Project Managers and Architects to ensure that all technical possibilities are explored and that our products achieve the best possible functionality.
- To work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams to deliver project requirements.
- To learn new technologies and to apply these to projects as applicable.
- To make appropriate use of Test and Behaviour Driven Development.
The Ideal Candidate
What we’re looking for
- Software engineering experience in Java.
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures, integration patterns and RESTful web services.
- Development experience using structured and unstructured data stores
- Experience working with core Internet technologies and UNIX/Linux systems.
- Experience implementing and consuming Web services.
- Experience with one or more test methodologies and of testing your own code.
- Experience of working to defined timescales.
- Knowledge of broadcast technologies would be a bonus.
The right candidate will be someone who is quick and keen to learn and adapt and who enjoys iterating their ideas in an agile fashion.
We're based in BBC Broadcast Centre in White City in London W12
Grade - 7
Location - London
Contract - Continuing
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.