Software Engineer, BBC World Service
The BBC World Service is the world’s most used and most respected international news service with an audience of over 450 million. Our purpose is to support and grow this. The Distribution team works across Digital and Broadcast platforms working with internal and external teams to meet this ambition. Within Distribution the Systems Integration team provide product management, architecture design, software development and dev-ops support. We work closely with our Business Development and Editorial colleagues and with many teams in the Technology and Product groups to co-design solutions. Our portfolio of products include:
- The Media Partners Centre, developed under our management by an external agency and providing content discovery and programme download for radio, TV and digital content in dozens of languages
- Dazzler – our mobile TV platform built on cloud based microservices.
- Alexandria – our aggregated metadata platform built in AWS using Elasticsearch and serverless technologies
- Caravan – our Apache Camel based on-premises integration platform
Our team punches above our weight and we pride ourselves on the development opportunities we offer staff. We actively engage with the BBC’s trainee and apprentice schemes giving our staff the opportunity to teach and lead as well as grow their technical skills.
We need full stack developers ready to engage with design and business analysis and with users to formulate new ideas for features and products but who are still passionate about fixing bugs and writing test cases.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications.
- Review and give feedback on others’ code.
- Write tests using automated test-driven techniques for ensure code quality.
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools.
- Support system integration in its operating environment.
- Write and review technical documentation.
- Help troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution.
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process.
- Participate in the team’s software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing, and continuous delivery
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable track record of writing and delivering software
- Full stack developer (React SPA, nodejs middleware, AWS microservices)
- Passionate about delivering production quality code
- Able to work with BBC programme makers and journalists to co-design improved user experiences
- Familiarity with the BBC’s Cosmos deployment system (including designing Cloudformation stacks and RPM packaging)
- Java/Groovy/Apache Camel experience
- Python experience
Contract type: 12 month FTC
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here