Software Engineer, BBC Global News
BBC Studios offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are one of the world’s leading production and distribution companies delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
For our international users, BBC.com offers up-to-the-minute international news, in-depth analysis and feature content across our website portfolio. We reach over 151 million unique browsers each month across PCs, tablets and mobile devices.
Our websites include the BBC homepage, BBC News, BBC Sport, BBC Worklife, BBC Culture, BBC Future, BBC Travel and our premium video destination BBC Reel. Our international products return revenue to the BBC Group annually, complementing the BBC’s licence fee and enhancing our services to UK audiences.
As an integral part of the BBC’s online offering, we develop, support and maintain the services, systems and infrastructure that make up our global online services. In Studios you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the business.
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We value Diversity & Inclusion everywhere at the BBC and encourage people of all background to apply for the role and tell us why they believe they’d be a good addition to the team.
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions to handle huge volumes of traffic.
- Ensuring technical quality meets the needs for a fast, reliable, always-on service.
- Championing new technologies and approaches to ensure our products remain world class.
- Collaborating effectively to deliver the best value audience experience
- A collaborative, respectful and forward-looking approach to software development
- Work with project, product and technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at feature and component level.
- Excellent communication skills, translating complicated technical detail into plain English
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Seeking out new tools and methodologies to evolve our development processes
- Work with third party providers where necessary offering direction, support and documentation
- Comfortable to work on multiple projects or codebases concurrently
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer with a broad knowledge of JS, HTML, CSS and Node. The candidate must also be comfortable supporting older technologies and all browsers
The ideal candidate will have a real enthusiasm for writing clean, concise, testable code, along with knowledge of all things responsive.
Experience is required in the following areas:
- Building and maintaining large scale React / Redux applications
- Node.js, Express, npm
- Testing frameworks e.g. Jest
- JS build tools e.g. Webpack
- Excellent knowledge of HTML and CSS
- CSS pre-processors - LESS, SASS
- Understanding performance optimisation on high traffic websites
- Knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Standards
- Working knowledge of cross-browser issues on both PC and Mac
- JS libraries/frameworks (Vue, Gatsby, etc.)
- Experience with TDD, BDD or similar
- Knowledge of Object Oriented and Functional Programming design patterns
- Working knowledge of AWS e.g. Codebuild
- Working knowledge of Docker and other deployment technologies
- Experience designing and integrating with external APIs
Contract type: Permanent
You submit an application, have an informal conversation with our talent team to discuss your skills and future aspirations. You attend a blended interview encompassing strengths and competency based questions. There will then be a technical test to gauge your approach to problem solving and programming.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here