Social Media Visual Artist
We have an exciting opportunity to create new forms of digital storytelling and journalism that reaches 111 million people in Africa. As a Social Media Visual Artist you will join a new multi-disciplinary digital team in Lagos made up of news gatherers, designers, software developers and social media specialists who will be working with journalists working across 12 language services (English, Amharic , Tigrinya, Afaan Oromo, Swahili, Somali, French, Great Lakes , Pidgin, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa)
BBC Africa aims to make explain and connect African and global stories by providing a unique insight into the main stories of the day in original formats. The African service digital offer consists of websites, mobile sites and social media with all services providing multimedia content in text, video, interactive and audio for radio, online, TV, mobile and social media platforms.
- To produce and develop illustrations/cartoons complementing the day’s stories in social media friendly formats
- To present visual storytelling ideas for special projects and long term series
- To apply editorial judgement when illustrating stories of a sensitive/controversial nature and seek advice where appropriate.
- To show agility reacting to breaking news stories or trending stories as and when appropriate
- To work with other visual artists and social media teams across regions – identifying themes and opportunities for collaboration
- You’ll be based in Lagos and will report to local Senior Broadcast Journalist Digital and work with a social media editor in World Service languages
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable skill and experience in visual storytelling - illustration and or cartooning.
- The ideal candidate may also have the ability to use motion graphics software, such as Adobe After Effects, to create simple 2D animations for social media platforms
- Understanding of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as a sense of what makes attractive visual design
- Creativity and flair
- A clear understanding of the needs and profile of the target audience and the ability to translate these into imaginative and compelling design ideas
- Interest in news and current affair
- The ability to work quickly, accurately and under pressure.
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions Apply
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.