Shoot/Edit - Lagos
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
The BBC is the world leader in broadcast newsgathering at the forefront of both the range of editorial coverage and technological innovation.
We are looking for a creative and experienced shoot edit to join the Africa Service and work across all platforms. Our range of programmes will go beyond the hard news agenda to cover Health, Technology, Sport, Business, a weekly women’s discussion programme, news content for children as well as for younger audiences, News Quiz and a weekly news review programme. We will also produce satirical and ‘infotainment’ programming that covers the news from an irreverent alternative perspective. You need to demonstrate that you are experienced in filming and delivering creative ideas for TV and digital.
A career at the BBC offers you an opportunity to tell stories that can change lives. The aim of BBC Africa is to showcase the diverse ideas and aspirations from across the continent in an impartial fair way.
You will be responsible for offering creative ideas on how to film and illustrate news stories and features as well as filming and sending video to base on breaking news stories. You will shoot and edit complete news and feature packages and recording presenter links and pieces to camera in creative ways. The shoot edit works closely with reporters to develop scripts and occasionally writes material. You will field produced news coverage, when needed and edit full programmes. Working abroad and in hostile environments will be required.
The Ideal Candidate
- Candidates will have relevant experience in a news broadcasting environment, practicing a range of location craft skills (e.g. camerawork/lighting/editing/location facilities)
- You will be able to demonstrate strong interest in and show a proven commitment to News
- Proven knowledge of issues and stories relevant to African audiences
- Experience of filming, editing and packaging content for TV and radio
- It is essential that you have the full range of location craft and technical skills, the ability to operate current broadcast technical equipment on location and at base, and be able to demonstrate a well-developed sense of visual awareness with a willingness to learn how to use new technology and kit
- It is vital that you have excellent command of spoken and written English and are fluent in a Nigerian language
Please see the attached Job Description for more information.
Contract: Fixed term contract until November 2020
Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria.
About the Company
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here