An exciting opportunity has become available in our News Web team for a Senior Software Engineer with experience in writing high quality server-side code, in particular Node.JS, Ruby and PHP
The BBC News Web team delivers impartial news to readers all over the world, currently in 32 languages. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
BBC News is changing and now is a great time to join us. We are working towards personalised features for our global audience and using the capabilities of public cloud providers to serve our users quickly and efficiently. At the same time we are expanding the World Service into 11 new languages.
We embrace emerging technologies and methods and are currently building significant systems with Node.JS, Ruby, and PHP.
- Work across disciplines to build strong and scalable products for our audiences;
- Write high quality server-side code, in particular Node.JS, Ruby and PHP;
- Write unit and integration tests using automated test frameworks.
The Ideal Candidate
- Working as a senior software engineer with experience in the following technologies
- At least two of PHP, HTTP, Sass, HTML, Ruby;
- Experience with Cloud architecture and the core AWS technologies;
- Writing good quality and maintainable code;
- Defining and developing high-volume, horizontally scalable web architectures.
- HTTP, Caching, CDNs, TLS, core Internet protocols and technologies;
- Engaged in the wider Web engineering community;
- DevOps environments and supporting applications out of hours.
Grade - 8
Location - London
Contract - Continuing
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under-represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.