Have you ever wondered what foundations power the BBC’s online Glastonbury coverage, or the BBC’s Olympics live streams, or indeed BBC iPlayer? BBC Design & Engineering Online Production Systems provide editorial staff with web based tools to enable them to realise their visions, leading to the success and universal industry praise of those propositions which are so popular with our audiences in the UK and abroad. We are an innovative team using industry best practices and cutting edge services to shape the future of the BBC’s audience-facing online services by creating tools that are loved and valued by thousands of BBC editors, producers and journalists.
Come join BBC Design & Engineering Online Production Systems to learn from the best and lead the rest.
The main responsibilities for this role are as follows -
- Lead the design and development of effective software that meets complex product and business needs
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Drive work to successful completion across the immediate team
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensuring code quality and coverage
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Ensure the teams software works in its operating environment
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Participate in and lead as required, the team's agile planning and delivery process
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will need experience in the following -
- Extensive experience writing and maintaining large scale robust production software in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Expertise in one or more mainstream development language/frameworks
- Expertise with one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Competence in database design and use in software applications
- Expertise in web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Expertise in test driven development and broader testing and QA concerns
- Expertise in developing for operational and non functional concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, scale, availability and resilience, security considerations)
- Extensive experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
Grade - 8
Location - London
Contract - Continuing
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under-represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.