Senior Software Engineer, BBC Global News
This is an exciting opportunity to work with one of the world's leading news and media organisations on a portfolio of award-winning, global, consumer-facing websites and products. The Software Engineer will be a key member of a vibrant agile development team looking to turn great ideas into engaging digital products while maintaining and improving existing codebases.
The Digital Product team in BBC Global News is responsible for several of the BBC’s international products including but not limited to:
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will develop software solutions that are used by millions of users. You‘ll work collaboratively within an autonomous cross-functional agile team.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer with a broad knowledge of JS, HTML, CSS and Node. The candidate must also be comfortable supporting older technologies and browsers, such as IE8.
The ideal candidate will have a real enthusiasm for writing clean, concise, testable code, along with knowledge of all things responsive.
The Ideal Candidate
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- Excellent knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Experience using CSS pre-processors - LESS, SASS
- Experience building and maintaining large scale React / Redux applications
- Experience designing and integrating with external APIs
- AWS: EC2, S3, Cloudformation, Route 53
- Functional Programming design patterns
- Experience using JS build tools – Grunt, Gulp, Webpack
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, Broadcast Centre
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here