Senior Journalist (Chief Sub Editor) - India English Online
The BBC News website is one of the world’s largest and most popular English-language news sites, with mobile and desktop editions for different geographic audiences, and UK-facing and International-facing apps. Website teams around the world work closely with other BBC platforms and services to showcase the best journalism from across the BBC.
This post will be based in the BBC’s Delhi bureau and will report to India Editor of the website, working closely and collaboratively with all the lndian language services as well as with teams in Singapore and the BBC’s headquarters in London to deliver the best service for BBC audiences.
If successful in this role you'll be asked to allocate work to a team and check progress; ensure the professional contribution of staff and the quality of output.
You'll be responsible for originating and producing stories which may include feature writing, scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output. Also commissioning and selecting relevant materials ensuring they meet expectations of our audiences and adhere to the BBC’s editorial guidelines. All the while delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
There may be times when you'll be required to undertake on-air reporting and film and edit material for broadcast where appropriate.
Finally you will be required to deputise for the editor when needed and take overall responsibility for maintaining high standards of subbing in the team.
The Ideal Candidate
To be considered for this role you will need the following;
- A high standard of editorial judgment, writing ability and production skills based on substantial experience of editing news stories, features and video scripting.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
- Ability to manage resources, staff, technical facilities and budgets, in order to make challenging broadcasting in the most cost effective manner.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Delhi, India
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in India.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here