Senior Data Analyst, BBC Global News
BBC Global News is the home of the BBC’s award-winning international news, sport and features content, which reaches over 137 million people around the world on TV, online, apps and social media each week.
As the world’s most trusted international news broadcaster, we offer accurate, impartial news via our 24 hour news channel - BBC World News - and BBC.com, along with a broad range of insightful and in-depth features across BBC Worklife, BBC Culture, BBC Future, BBC Reel and BBC Travel.
There is now an exciting vacancy for a Senior Data Analyst working within our data and analytics and Business Information teams.
Reporting to the Lead Data Analyst/Director of Business Information the senior data analyst role is a full-time position based in London and will support all parts of the Global News business.
The focus of the role will be on supporting data projects across Global News with a particular focus on connecting to and transforming data from a number of audience and commercial platforms, so that the output can feed into further process e.g. Machine Learning, segmentation, and audience insight.
This role will help equip teams within Global News with improved data capabilities and will help implement strategic data projects, as well as support day to day tactical requirements. This may include building and maintaining data solutions, new workflows and ensure timely and accurate delivery of data across the business.
Some of the data sources you will work with are
- The BBC’s Single Customer View (SCV) warehouse where raw behavioral data from ATI (the BBC’s analytics platform) and BBC Account demographic data are stored.
- Content meta data from content management systems CPS and iSite about articles and PIPS for programmes / video
- Analyzing User Commercial Behavior e.g. click through data and value from Google AdManager
- Creating data pipelines from analytics tools such as ATI to allow automation of MI and sales information
- Building and supporting data warehousing in AWS/GCP to facilitate faster and more efficient storage/processing of data
- Create Integrations between audience measurement systems and ad eco system to facilitate better monetization of content and identify opportunities to improve yield
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven experience in a Data Analysis role with an exceptional track-record.
- Extensive hands on experience of constructing, maintaining and running ETL processes in a programmatic way eg using (python, R, SQL)
- Familiarity with building and using API connections/requests
- Experience of cloud computing, ideally AWS or GCP with experience of uploading and creating tables of data within these platforms and optimizing tables for use by vizualisation and BI tools
- Demonstrate knowledge of best practices in processing and storing data
- Be an expert in the implementation and use of analytical tools such as Alteryx/Tableau/Power BI in order to automate extraction and visualisation of data.
- Understanding of TV, Digital or new Media would be advantageous.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here