Senior Broadcast Journalist - Social Media - Nepali
BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 320 million globally, including TV, digital platforms including social media, AM, FM, shortwave, digital satellite and cable channels.
The BBC Nepali Service is based in Kathmandu. It has a growing digital presence and broadcasts daily radio news programmes across Nepal on FM partner stations. The service provides a vital radio service to audiences in remote parts of Nepal and online and social content to urban-dwellers with access to mobile devices. The Nepali Service aims to produce world-class content relevant to an increasingly social, tech-savvy and globe-trotting Nepali audience.
The Service works closely with language services based in Delhi and South Asia and with teams in the BBC’s headquarters in London to deliver the best service for BBC audiences.
We are recruiting for a Senior Broadcast Journalist, Social Media to join the Nepali team.
- Accountable for all social media output, digital content, videos, and innovative editorial projects to serve our Nepali audiences.
- Ensure BBC Nepali’s social media and digital content adheres to the standards of excellence and efficiency required of the BBC World Service Group, and complies fully with the BBC's editorial guidelines and objectives.
- Responsible for originating creative and innovative ways of storytelling and implementing them for BBC Nepali, especially for social media consumption.
- To play a lead role in communicating BBC Nepali’s social media strategy both within and outside the BBC.
- To collaborate with BBC News online and Social Media Editors at the BBC World Service to lead on key international and regional stories covered by the BBC for Nepali-speaking audiences.
- To lead the change in the workflow to maximise BBC’s reach and impact in Nepali language on social media platform.
- The post holder will also provide creative team leadership to ensure that the BBC World Service maximises its potential in BBC Nepali for social media users.
- The post holder will report to the BBC Nepali Editor.
- You will be expected to work flexibly.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven record of leading a social media and digital team in Nepali or other languages.
- Excellent written and spoken Nepali.
- A successful record in working in an online production environment with demonstrable experience and enthusiasm for social media and interactivity.
- Demonstrates an excellent knowledge of developments in social media and related areas.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Nepali and South Asian affairs is essential.
- A clear understanding of the needs and profile of the audience and the ability to translate these into imaginative and compelling content, specifically with reference to social media.
- Comprehensive knowledge of writing and editing content for publication to high editorial standards.
- The ability to analyse data and interpret in a relevant way for news output.
- Strong skills in using data to drive traffic to websites and to increase the impact of editorial output.
- Evidence of sound editorial and community judgement as well as an understanding of the power of online communities.
- The ability to plan and organise time and resources effectively and to manage projects to conclusion according to deadlines.
- A good knowledge of English, including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong editorial judgement, based on extensive journalistic experience and a thorough understanding of the processes and principles of BBC journalism and relevant journalism law.
- Excellent knowledge of and understanding of online technology and how it can best be used to maximise the performance of BBC Nepali platforms
- Ability to motivate and develop editorial staff to produce innovative and imaginative journalism, to help lead innovation on our digital platforms and to develop the capacity of journalists elsewhere in the BBC to produce high quality output for the website
Grade: Local Terms and Conditions apply.
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the country that the role is based in.
About the Company
“Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation”
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.