Senior Broadcast Journalist (Social Media), BBC Great Lakes
The BBC World Service is embarking on an exciting journey with unprecedented investment in digital content for Africa and your role will be critical to us in meeting our ambitions. At the BBC, we believe our mission is to inform, educate and connect the audiences from Africa to the rest of the world. BBC Great Lakes aims to deliver our journalism in a lively and engaging fashion, with a focus on interactivity and the promotion of content on social media and across all platforms.
By joining BBC Great Lakes, you’ll be a part of the team for a leading international broadcaster, the BBC World Service, which reaches more than 90 million people in Africa weekly on Radio, TV, Online (language sites and bbcafrica.com), Mobile and Social Media. We broadcast to Africa in seven languages: English, French, Hausa, Great Lakes, Somali, Pidgin and Swahili.
We are looking for a Senior Social Media Digital journalist with excellent written and spoken Kinyarwanda and English language to join the team in Nairobi; you will also be expected to work remotely with the Great Lakes radio and online team in London.
The successful candidate will lead the day-to-day running of the BBC Great Lakes social media platforms. You will be helping to grow our audience reach and engagement, as well as referrals to our content across all platforms.
Duties will include:
- Lead and develop a fresh and innovative creative approach to curating, publishing and editing stories for BBC Great Lakes social media platforms.
- Creating content for social media such as videos, gifs, pictures, Facebook lives, Instagram Stories etc.
- Managing the interactive offer across all social media platforms.
- Test and provide feedback on new social tools and train staff where necessary
- You’ll be working with colleagues in the regional service but you’ll also be expected to produce stories that have global and pan African appeal
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Excellent written and spoken Kinyarwanda language skills.
- Fluent understanding of English.
- Experience of creating high quality copy and create assets (images, gifs, video) that can be used across social media channels .
- An understanding of the broader digital landscape in Africa and a proven interest in keeping up to date with developments in social media.
- Strong editorial judgement and a solid understanding of journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Proven record of using social media effectively to engage audiences.
For further information please read the full job description which can be found at the bottom of this page.
Continuing (permanent) contract
Role based in Nairobi
Local terms and conditions apply
About the Company
We don't focus simply on what we do; we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you have read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You will be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.