Senior Broadcast Journalist, Igbo Service
Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media. Globally, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of 320 million weekly across various platforms.
Over the next four years, the BBC World Service will be expanding its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12.
Three of the new language services, Igbo, Yoruba and Pidgin will serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. They will be based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
The BBC is looking for a Senior Broadcast Journalist to work across all digital platforms to ensure that the Igbo Service develops and grows a distinctiveness, character and status in its target area. On a day to day basis, you will contribute creative ideas and inspire the team to produce engaging content. Reporting to the Editor Igbo Service, you will ensure quality and consistency of timely output. You will be required to occasionally do some field reporting.
Shift work will be required which will include early mornings, late nights, weekends and public holidays.
The BBC World Service is recruiting for an experienced Senior Broadcast Journalist to work across the new Igbo Service digital output. You will take full editorial responsibility for the timely delivery of the day’s output. Reporting to the Editor, your main responsibilities will include leading on the production, creative and timely distribution of all digital content, videos, and innovative editorial projects to serve our Igbo audiences whilst adhering to the BBC's editorial guidelines and objectives.
Working with the Igbo team, you will be responsible for coming up with creative and innovative ways in storytelling and implementing them for BBC Igbo especially for online and social media consumption.
You must have work authorisation for Nigeria.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of Igbo and the ability to type quickly and accurately.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Familiarity with digital news production systems and writing with flare for pictures. An understanding of social media is essential.
- A willingness to learn to operate new technology systems and to be able to adapt to different working methods.
- A good knowledge of online journalism techniques.
- An ability to mentor, lead and inspire a team of journalists to bring out the best in them.
- A demonstrable interest in working in a multimedia environment and in encouraging audience engagement.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of Nigerian, African and international current affairs.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style is desirable.
- A willingness to understand and adopt BBC Editorial Guidelines and to abide by BBC Values.
- Knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service and Global News.
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions Apply
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.