Senior Broadcast Journalist (Digital) BBC Hausa
BBC Hausa is part of the British Broadcasting Corporation, the world’s largest public broadcaster. In Africa the BBC reaches a weekly audience of more than 90 million people on Radio, TV, Digital, Mobile and Social Media. We broadcast to Africa in English, Hausa, Somali, French, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili and Arabic.
The BBC Hausa Service is the pre-eminent international broadcaster in the Hausa language with our teams based in London and Abuja. Broadcasting since 1957, the service now offers the most trusted Hausa news service on TV, radio, digital (bbchausa.com) and social media to our audiences in West Africa and the worldwide diaspora.
In this role you’ll be leading the BBC Hausa digital effort. So we are looking for an experienced digital journalist to provide the creative leadership and vision needed to deliver a mobile, social and digital strategy which ensures that our editorial impact in Africa and beyond remains the best in the business.
- To identify, develop and execute editorial opportunities involving social media across all platforms.
- To provide oversight of the accounts being provided by BBC Hausa’s social media services
- To report regularly on performance with a clear focus on growing reach; reaching new audiences; spotting content opportunities to which we respond
- To assist in developing future strategies, including around new platforms and audience engagement
- Be advisor to all colleagues in the BBC Hausa Service on best practice in the use of digital tools.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant recent experience as a digital journalist both in originating ideas and material and in editing the work of others.
- Demonstrable track record of imaginative and advance use of social media including a wide of range of platforms such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram and Twitter.
- Excellent Hausa and English language skills.
- Excellent news and editorial judgment.
- Video shooting and editing skills.
- Experience of managing digital communities and the ability to communicate diplomatically with audiences.
- Understanding and appreciation of the aims of the BBC World Service.
12 month FTC
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background