Senior Broadcast Journalist, BBC Tigrinya Service BBC Africa
Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media.
Over the next four years, the BBC World Service will be expanding its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12.
Three of the new language services, Tigrinya, Amharic and Afaan Oromoo will serve our audiences in Ethiopia and Eritrea. They are based in Nairobi from where the BBC also produces programmes for Kiswahili and Somali speaking audiences.
The BBC is looking for senior journalists to deliver a dynamic range of digital and radio content which will appeal to a young audience.
You will report to the Editor, BBC Tigrinya and will at times work as duty editor.
- To lead a team as required in the production of output, ensuring the material produced for the website, radio and social media is lively, interesting and of relevance to the target area.
- To be involved in the training and day to day supervision of the team of journalists and other production staff. To assist in the assessment and development of staff, building teams through supervision and contributions to staff appraisals.
- To deputise for the Editor in their absence as required.
- To research, interview original sources and write reports, analysis and features for the BBC Tigrinya website in a range of formats.
- To help produce and/or present the BBC’s live radio programme.
- To respond to breaking stories whilst on air and to resolve technical difficulties.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Tigrinya
- A good knowledge of English, including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Recent and relevant experience as a journalist and/or reporter both in originating material and editing the work of others.
- Ability to write, adapt and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of social media.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style of the network.
- Experience of reporting, in the field, on political and economic issues would be beneficial.
Salary: Local Terms & Conditions
Please note, a language assessment and interviews for this role will take place on Thursday 19th October.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.