Senior Broadcast Journalist, BBC Afrique
As part of the one of the biggest broadcasters in the world, BBC Afrique broadcasts on radio and online via www.bbcafrique.com to Africa from the UK and Dakar, Senegal. Our output is varied with a strong emphasis on regional and international current affairs. From covering breaking news, sport, arts, business, features and challenging decision makers to discussing the issues that affect the daily lives of Africans, our daily programmes are delivered across a range of platforms.
Based in our Dakar office, you will be part a busy journalistic team. Writing, translating and adapting material swiftly and accurately into French, in a style suited to radio, online and mobile journalism, you will also conduct interviews and reports. As well as originating, researching, producing and presenting items, packages and interviews, you will also provide discussions, complete programmes, background, analysis and features for a range of media formats
BBC Afrique is looking for a Senior Broadcast Journalist who will be responsible for editorial output and control, reporting, selection and compilation of material, production, leading teams and planning and implementing effective use of resources.
- Responsible for originating and producing stories which may include scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output.
- Commissioning and select relevant materials, ensuring they meet expectations of our audiences and adhere to the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines.
- May be required to undertake On-Air reporting, may be required to film and edit material for broadcast where appropriate.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or on line. This might be live or recorded.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluency in French & English, written and oral, to broadcast levels.
- A thorough understanding of production methods used in BBC news and the ability to adapt to new media.
- A high standard of editorial judgment, writing ability and production skills based on substantial broadcast journalism experience.
- Exploits opportunities offered by existing and emerging technologies to their fullest extent.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
Salary: Local terms and conditions apply.
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Senegal.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background