Scheduler, BBC Global News
BBC World News is the BBC’s 24-hour commercially funded international news and information channel, available in over 450 million homes in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.
BBC World News provides all the latest news, business, weather and sport 24 hours a day, plus the best of the BBC’s current affairs, documentary and lifestyle programming. It provides unmatched, impartial, in-depth analysis of breaking news, as well as looking at the stories behind the headlines.
- Maintain the detailed current schedule and advise on the mix of programmes needed to fulfil strategic objectives and ensure the audience research is utilised to properly inform and support scheduling changes
- Support the manager on programme delivery, duration and the proposed transmission date
- Anticipate and resolve cross channel scheduling issues. To optimise the flow of information across and between different services to ensure that schedules across all services are complementary and that opportunities to share themes and avoid duplication / clashes are taken
- Compare and assess the schedules, identifying problems such as programme clashes at the earliest stage
- Review the schedules with supplier immediately prior to publication - checking for clashes and other problems
- Ensure that ‘as run’ (actually transmitted) information supplied is reconciled, so that the historic schedule is always accurate and complete
The Ideal Candidate
- A knowledge and understanding of programme financing and of interpreting transmission and editorial policies and guidelines
- A demonstrable knowledge and passion for BBC content and brand identity
- Understanding of short, medium and longer term tactical scheduling strategies. Detailed knowledge and understanding of key competitors, their schedules and strategies
- Sufficient experience of broadcasting research and analysis to have gained a thorough knowledge and understanding of how audiences consume content
- A thorough understanding of the way in which content is commissioned, financed and produced and the brand identity of the station or channel
- Significant experience of using IT applications and packages to produce and analyse information and data to present in user friendly formats
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills - able to relay contentious decisions without impacting on key relationships
Contract type: 6 month FTC
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here