Researcher, BBC Africa Sport
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
In the position of Researcher youwillmonitor online, TV, radio, newspapers and social media across Africa sports, and produce tip-offs, news updates, media reviews and background information.
- Produce timely tip-offs, media reviews, basic sports updates and background information based on the monitoring of vernacular sources from the target area
- Maintain a database of personalities, organisations and source information from the target area
- Undertake administrative tasks as required
- Play a role in the planning and strategic development of research as appropriate
- Contribute story ideas and new angles on emerging narratives and long-running stories, including from a data perspective
- Actively seek feedback from Africa Sport users on our research offering; work with the Senior Digital Journalist/Editorial Lead and the rest of the team to interpret this and respond in a timely manner
The Ideal Candidate
- An excellent level of spoken and written English and another African language is preferable.
- Experience of carrying out tasks where attention to detail is particularly important
- Ability to communicate effectively and to present complex information and ideas clearly and concisely
- Sports judgment and the ability to spot a story
- An interest in African sport
- Willingness and enthusiasm to embrace new ways of working and new technology to find and analyse information and produce content and an ability to share/communicate what you know, or have learnt, to others in the team
- Ability to understand and identify the needs of sports users
Salary: Local terms and conditions
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.