Reporter/Presenter, BBC Africa Sport
We are looking for a Reporter / Presenter to work in a new Africa Sports Unit and to create and present expert, authoritative and entertaining Sports coverage in Senegal and the surrounding regions. The Reporter / Presenter will be required to report for multi-platform outlets, including TV, online, social media and radio. The successful candidate will need to have excellent knowledge of sport in Africa, global sport, particularly Ligue 1, Athletics and Basketball and an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media sports coverage.
They will deliver content for a weekly Sports TV Show and will be expected to contribute innovative ideas, drive the creative vision and present the content. They must demonstrate strong editorial judgement and solid journalistic skills. They will be able to write creatively, accurately and succinctly, and understand how to find and generate original and engaging sports stories that can work across all platforms. You will be adept at planning and producing video and TV packages, desk top editing, producing graphics, and arranging for guests to appear on our output.
- To compile and present engaging content offering new perspectives and deeper exploration to Sports stories, interviews, profiles and digital content.
- To plan, structure, write and produce content for use on TV, Digital and Radio and to develop treatments of the highest quality and with journalism at the heart.
- To pitch original stories with both TV and digital treatments, making sure that they work for online, social and TV platforms.
- To work closely with the Africa Sports teams in London, Nairobi and Lagos. To have a good working relationship with BBC Sport, other Sports departments within the BBC, all BBC Africa Services, external Sports Organisations and independent production companies.
- To prepare edited material either working in a self-op environment or with a craft editor to produce inserts and packages for the various outlets such as Sports TV features, News bulletins, Online or social.
- To find and brief contributors for live and edited stories and interview them for broadcast.
- A full command of written and spoken English and French.
The Ideal Candidate
- Exceptional knowledge of sport, in particular sport that appeals to an African audience and excellent sports contacts.
- Experience of on air reporting and presentation particularly in video to highest standards. Authoritative microphone voice and ability to communicate effectively to listeners and viewers.
- Strong digital understanding and awareness.
- Creativity and ideas generation with the ability to think originally and to contribute fully to the planning process.
- Excellent spoken and written English and French.
- Ability to remain calm while working to deadlines, apply sensible work priorities and pace throughout assignments.
Salary: Local terms and conditions
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.