Multimedia Journalist (Digital), BBC Somali
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is increasing its digital operation for the Somali audience and also expanding a daily Somali TV new programme from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. Reporting into the Editor, BBC Somali Service, and a Senior Multimedia Journalist on day today activities, we are looking for a Digital journalist with excellent written and spoken Somali to join the team in Nairobi at this critical time.
BBC Somali Service operates a digital first strategy, publishing content online and on social media platforms, this alongside producing radio news and current affairs programmes in Somali. The service¹s focus is to produce world-class digital content that makes sense of news and events in Somalia and its neighbouring region for our local and global audiences. A career at the BBC offers you an opportunity to tell stories that can change lives and at BBC Africa it is our ambition to showcase the diversity of ideas and aspirations from across the continent.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Creating digital content in multiple formats, text, images, audio, video and to treat and promote digital content on our various websites and social platforms to service the needs of our audience.
- Producing accurate, informed and interesting news and current affairs, social and cultural content to the highest standards.
- To report, present, research, write, translate, edit and adapt text stories, video or audio material for audiences on digital platforms and radio; good on-screen presence and broadcast voice an advantage.
- Creating original digital content for all multimedia output
- To be responsible for thinking through and around editorial problems, developing realistic alternative strategies and approaches.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command in Somali language (written and spoken)
- Fluent in English and able to communicate effectively
- An excellent broadcast voice and good reporting and presentation skills
- Ability to also script write, edit and produce audio/radio content
- Relevant experience as a journalist, both in originating material and editing the work of others, is highly desirable
- An understanding of the BBC Africa’s distinctive news agenda and a wider interest in the strategy of the BBC as a whole
- A good knowledge of what works on digital platforms for the target market
- Proven track record of producing quality digital content, and proven editorial judgement
- Ability to create content with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Local terms and conditions apply.
We are keen to increase the balance between male and female journalists in our workforce and so would like to encourage applications from women
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Kenya.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.