Journalist (Social Media Producer)
The BBC News website is one of the world’s largest and most popular news sites, with mobile and desktop editions for different geographic audiences, and UK-facing and International-facing apps. The Social News team is an integral part of the Mobile and Online division, managing core social media output and supporting wider news operations.
This role is based in Singapore, home to the BBC News website’s Asia edition - which comprises an Asia News front page and social platforms specially curated for the region. Journalists in the team write and shape the website’s international news coverage and help set our daily agenda. They are also responsible for helping to build the reach and reputation of our digital services.
You will be responsible for the output on the BBC News Facebook page, @BBCBreaking, @BBCWorld, @BBCNews, @BBCAsia Twitter accounts and the BBC News Instagram account. You will have responsibility for developing and growing audiences on social in the region through creative promotion, social newsgathering and a strategic awareness of the platforms and trends popular across Asia. You will be expected to work closely with digital video and online teams and might also write stories.
The Ideal Candidate
You will have a proven track record in News as well as sound editorial judgement. In addition you will have:
- Understanding of how social media works, especially Twitter, Facebook and Instagram as well as other platforms popular in Asia
- The ability to identify shareable content; create, package and sell it on social media
- Strong writing skills to generate accurate copy with precise attribution
- Strong visual skills to help promote our material in the most effective way
- A strong track record of covering global and Asian news
- The ability to respond to the audience in a way that reflects the BBC News brand and expectations of different social media platforms
- An understanding of the competitive environment for breaking news and how the real time news cycle develops on social media
- Lots of ideas about how to reach audiences that don’t usually come to the BBC
- Fluency in a regional language
Based in Singapore
Local terms and conditions apply.
Job Application Requirements:
- Questionnaire with opportunity to detail your experience
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here