Journalist, BBC Arabic Xtra Radio
BBC Arabic is the largest language service of the BBC, providing news and current affairs on Radio, TV and Online to Arabic speaking audiences in the Middle East and beyond. The service is a multi-media newsgathering operation for daily, weekly and long-term planning.
BBC XTRA is the flagship news magazine pan-Arab program on BBC Arabic Radio. Youthful and modern style, it was launched in 2005 and has an excellent reputation for creativity and hard hitting social affairs stories as well as the latest from the worlds of arts, culture, science, technology and more. This is delivered over 60 mins every weekday in a modern and relaxed presentation style.
The BBC XTRA team is hard working and well organized with excellent team spirit, something that the new team-leader will need to maintain.
As a Journalist in the BBC Xtra team, your primary focus will on presenting the output as a whole or in individual segments as well as producing, reporting, planning and the overall running of the program.
You will be expected, to work alone or alongside other Journalists; contribute to the development of the program; collaborate with colleagues in Programmes and across BBC Arabic; and with other parts of the BBC.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command of spoken and written modern standard Arabic, as first or equivalent language.
- Very good command of spoken and written English.
- Considerable relevant experience as a program presenter/producer/reporter.
- Excellent independent and balanced editorial judgement.
- Good practical experience in the use of social media and the latest developments in digital journalism.
- The ability to communicate effectively to audience in a modern style adopting the appropriate tone.
- Experience of originating and developing creative program ideas.
- Recent experience in dealing live with breaking or developing news stories.
- Ability to interpret complex stories for a non-specialist audience.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to prioritize workload and to work flexibly.
- A team-player with good interpersonal communication skills.
Applicants must send links or recorded audios to show their presentation skills. You will be given the opportunity to provide links as part of the application process.
Contract: 12 month fixed term contract/attachment.
Local terms and conditions apply.
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Egypt.
About the Company
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here