Interactive Journalist, Visual Journalism WS Languages, (Region) Hub
WS Languages is at the heart of the BBC’s global news operation providing news and content in 40 languages across all platforms for both UK and international audiences. Increasingly we are digital first services – honing video, digital, mobile and social content for our increasing audiences.
The successful candidate will work as part of the new Visual Journalism (VJ) team within the Russian Service to generate fresh and original global and regional stories.
This regional Interactive Journalist role has close links to the Visual Journalism team, whose aim is to unlock the potential of multimedia storytelling across platforms - desktop, tablet, mobile and TV. Using graphical tools and combining those with an understanding of data and journalistic rigour, the team aims to produce powerful visual explanations that improve understanding of the news, and which audiences across the world highly appreciate.
The team brings together online journalists, graphic designers and developers with TV designers and craft editors, all serving UK and Global audiences, including those of WS Languages.
Your main responsibilities are -
· To explain major news stories and enhance coverage through original, digital story telling techniques. To research, write, co-ordinate, manage and deliver to tight deadlines the production of high quality, value added digital content including: information graphics, maps, graphical interactives, multimedia explainers, data journalism, data visualization and other bespoke-format web content
· To generate ideas for data-driven stories and for how they might be developed and visualised for a variety of platforms
· To contribute to the Russian Service news agenda, identifying themes and projects of shared interest to a majority of regional language services and their audiences
· To collaborate with reporters, editors, and the regional VJ team's designer and developer to bring those stories to publication
· To collaborate with the other members of the regional digital teams, including the Social Media Visual Artists, Women’s Affairs journalists and Growth Editors, as well as digitally focused journalists in individual language service teams
· To participate and contribute to the wider Visual Journalism Community, with the Central BBC News Visual Journalism team and the other VJ Languages teams
The Ideal Candidate
Some of the skills that we look for are -
· Digital mapping skills to produce maps for digital outlets (like use of Q-GIS to create heatmaps and pointmaps for output – which can be edited by design and shared with broadcast, CartoDB)
· Knowledge of advanced features in Excel like pivot tables
· Knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL) and of script languages such as Python and/or R to query databases
· Knowledge of data visualisation tools such as Tableau, Refine and Fusion Tables
· Experience of video production and motion graphics software (like Final Cut Pro and After Effects) to create simple explainer videos and animations
· Experience in the production of long form digital features (like http://goo.gl/GHdurD), with tools like Shorthand or similar
· Experience of negotiating with public officials for data and open records
· Experience of gathering information via Freedom of Information requests
Job Title: Interactive Journalist
Package: Local terms and conditions
Contract: 12 month FTC
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.