Editor, Igbo Service
Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media. Globally, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of 320 million weekly across various platforms.
Over the next four years, the BBC World Service will be expanding its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12.
Three of the new language services, Igbo, Yoruba and Pidgin, will serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. They will be based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
The BBC is looking for an excellent senior journalist to be the Editor of the Igbo Language Service to deliver a dynamic range of digital, audio and video content.
You will report to the Head of West Africa and also work closely with other senior editorial figures in BBC World Service.
As the Editor, you will provide creative leadership and vision, to maximise the Igbo Language Service’s impact and potential in Nigeria, taking into account the changing media conditions in the target area. You will approve content, ensuring that BBC editorial guidelines are adhered to consistently. You will manage teams and resources, taking responsibility for ensuring that all output is delivered creatively and on schedule. The successful candidate will have substantial experience in a senior journalistic role within a media environment. Fluent in Igbo and English (written and spoken), you will have experience of delivering output on media platforms. An excellent knowledge of local, regional and international news and current affairs is essential. You will have recent experience of living in the target area, including a good understanding of the complexities of Nigeria.
A good appreciation of the media situation in Nigeria and the wider target area, and how it is developing with the ability to anticipate changes in the market is essential. Experience of managing budgets is required.
The Ideal Candidate
- You must have work authorisation for Nigeria.
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of Igbo and the ability to type quickly and accurately.
- Fluency in English including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- An ability to lead, inspire and manage a team is essential.
- Familiarity with news production systems and an understanding of social media.
- A willingness to learn to operate new technology and adapt to different working methods.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to a young audience.
- A demonstrable interest in working in a multimedia environment and an interest in audience engagement.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of Nigerian, African and international current affairs.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style is desirable.
- A willingness to understand and adopt BBC editorial guidelines and to abide by BBC Values.
- A thorough knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service and Global News
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions Apply
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.