Digital Product Director, BBC Global News Ltd
BBC Global News Limited (GNL) is the BBC News Group’s commercial subsidiary. GNL owns and operates:
- BBC World News (a 24 hour English language news and current affairs channel) and
- BBC.com (the BBC’s online news and features website and associated apps)
BBC World News and bbc.com are available in every country around the world, with the exception of the UK. BBC World News is the BBC’s most watched television channel, available in more than 450 million homes. BBC.com generates page views of more than 1.25bn each month. This traffic is made up of consumption of regionally editionalised versions of the BBC‘s domestic News and Sport online services, plus readership of a number of online ‘features’ sites (in genres such as travel, technology and culture) which GNL produces itself. Combined weekly reach of GNL’s services is 115m people outside the UK, accounting for one third of the BBC’s total international audience.
You will be the overall digital lead for BBC Global News Ltd, taking responsibility for the delivery of GNL’s digital strategy and teams, for product development, innovation and for enabling the successful monetisation of bbc.com. Some of this digital strategy can be pursued independently; much of it relies on the development of shared products and the building of effective relationships around the BBC to secure the right outcomes for our commercial interests.
This is a key leadership position within the GNL business. As a member of the GNL Executive Committee, you will share in collective responsibility for successful business growth overall, specifically through effective distribution and monetisation of BBC content on all digital platforms.
Digital product development expertise is crucial to the role and you will need both the technical knowledge and credibility to deliver digital products that will further enhance our position. Championing an agile product development strategy you will optimise commercial opportunities for bbc.com, demonstrating expert-level understanding of client needs and digital market developments. You will be a respected mentor and leader for some of the brightest digital talent in the BBC, leading (and expanding) a best in class digital product team to innovate and create great solutions for our brands.
The Ideal Candidate
We’re seeking a collaborative, inclusive and engaging leader with the following skills and experience:
- Experience of developing and designing digital strategies
- Customer experience, user experience and/or service design
- Digital delivery projects
- Proven ability and track record in structure, development and delivery of complex programmes and engagements on time and within budget.
- Proven ability to understand, mitigate and manage risk.
- Exceptional communicator with the ability to articulate complex ideas to all levels of an organisation, and effectively lead and manage all key stakeholders, recognising likely differences of views about methods, choices and strategic direction.
- Excellent programme management discipline.
- Ability to lead and direct large and cross functional teams.
- Excellent people management and development skills with a strong focus on team development.
Reporting To: CEO of Global News Ltd
Grade: Senex 1, F
Location: BBC Television Centre, London W12/ New Broadcasting House, London W1 with additional international travel.
Interviews: wc 7th Jan 2019
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.