Digital Journalist (Social Media Reporter)- Singapore
The BBC News website is one of the world’s largest and most popular news sites, with mobile and desktop editions for different geographic audiences, and UK-facing and International-facing apps. The Social News team is an integral part of the Mobile and Online division, managing core social media output and supporting wider news operations.
This role is based in Singapore, home to the BBC News website’s Asia edition - which comprises an Asia News front page and social platforms specially curated for the region. Journalists in the team write and shape the website’s international news coverage and help set our daily agenda. They are also responsible for helping to build the reach and reputation of our digital services.
You will be responsible for the output on the BBC News Facebook page, @BBCBreaking, @BBCWorld, @BBCNews, @BBCAsia Twitter accounts and the BBC News Instagram account. You will have responsibility for developing and growing audiences on social in the region through creative promotion, social newsgathering and a strategic awareness of the platforms and trends popular across Asia. You will be expected to work closely with digital video and online teams and will also write stories. You will be keen to bring ideas about how to reach more audiences for the ever expanding social platforms.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have:
- A proven track record in covering Asian and Global News as well as good editorial judgement.
- Understanding of how social media works, especially Twitter, Facebook and Instagram as well as other platforms popular in Asia.
- The ability to identify shareable content; create, package and sell it on social media.
- Strong writing skills to generate accurate copy with precise attribution, paired with strong visual skills to help promote our material in the most effective way.
- The ability to respond to the audience in a way that reflects the BBC News brand and expectations of different social media platforms.
- An understanding of the competitive environment for breaking news and how the real time news cycle develops on social media.
- Fluency in a regional language.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here