Broadcast Journalist (Video), BBC Hausa
Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
By joining BBC Hausa, you’ll be a part of the team for a leading international broadcaster the BBC World Service which reaches more than 90 million people in Africa weekly on Radio, TV, Online (language sites and bbcafrica.com), Mobile and Social Media. We broadcast to Africa in seven languages: English, French, Hausa, Great Lakes, Pidgin, Somali, and Swahili. BBC Hausa is the lead provider of radio and digital news in Nigeria and operates the one of Africa’s top Hausa digital sites.
We are looking for a creative and versatile journalist, with a strong understanding of what makes good digital video and how video is consumed on digital platforms.
As a Broadcast journalist you will create bespoke optimized content including social media posts, reports, compilations, interviews, discussions, 'explainers', features video, photos, infographics and other editorial content for social media networks and on all BBC language TV and websites.
- Re-version BBC material with a mobile audience in mind.
- To create multimedia content for publication on social media and the BBC Africa mobile audiences and on Africa TV , as appropriate and to the required specification whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and adhering to the BBC's Editorial guidelines.
- Research, storyboard and produce stories.
- To originate innovative formats for BBC Africa social media posts best suited for each social network, including Facebook, Twitter, Chat Apps, Instagram and others as required, test and optimize these formats using social analytics and then champion the use of successful formats across the team.
- Shooting and editing complete news and feature packages
- Create headlines and video teasers to promote our stories and reach to as wide an audience as possible.
- Contribute ideas and angles to meetings on how to cover the main news of the day.
- To show visual creativity in the use of pictures and graphics to illustrate and explain fast-moving events and complex stories.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Hausa.
- Experience of video production, editing and storytelling.
- Experience of using video editing software similar to Q-edit or FCPX.
- In depth understanding of digital and social platforms - the BBC’s and others - and the different ways audiences are consuming news in Africa
- A strong journalistic track record with knowledge of Africa and African affairs.
- Experience in social-first content production and audience engagement.
- Wide and up to date familiarity with the area/s to which the hub broadcasts including an in-depth understanding of the area/s history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience.
- Proven editorial judgement and flair, able to make sound decisions quickly.
Role based in Lagos
Continuing (permanent) contract
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.