Broadcast Journalist (Video), BBC Africa
BBC World Service is the leading international broadcaster in Africa reaching a weekly audience of more than 90 million on Radio, TV, Online (language sites and bbcafrica.com), Mobile and Social Media. It broadcasts to Africa in seven languages: English, French, Hausa, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Somali, and Swahili.
BBC Africa aims to report in a lively and engaging fashion, and interactivity, promotion of content on social media and social newsgathering form a large part of its activities across all platforms. It is via social media that BBC Africa Service seeks to engage younger and digitally savvy audiences across Africa and the diaspora.
We are looking for a creative and versatile journalist with a strong understanding of what makes good digital video and how video is consumed on digital platforms. This role will be based in our Lagos bureau.
The successful candidate will create bespoke optimized content including social media posts, reports, compilations, interviews, discussions, features video, photos, infographics and other editorial content for social media networks and on all BBC language TV and websites.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Re-version BBC material with a mobile audience in mind.
- To create multimedia content for publication on social media and the BBC Africa mobile audiences and on Africa TV.
- Research, storyboard and produce stories.
- To originate innovative formats for BBC Africa social media posts best suited for each social network, including Facebook, Twitter, Chat Apps, Instagram and others as required, test and optimize these formats using social analytics and then champion the use of successful formats across the team.
- Create headlines and video teasers to promote our stories and reach to as wide an audience as possible.
- Contribute ideas and angles to meetings on how to cover the main news of the day.
- To show visual creativity in the use of pictures and graphics to illustrate and explain fast-moving events and complex stories.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of video production, editing and storytelling.
- Experience of using video editing software similar to Q-edit or FCPX.
- In depth understanding of digital and social platforms - the BBC’s and others - and the different ways audiences are consuming news in Africa
- A strong journalistic track record with knowledge of Africa and African affairs.
- Experience in social-first content production and audience engagement.
- Ability to work well with other producers, reporters and teams.
For further information on this role please read the full job description. You can download this at the bottom of the page.
Continuing (permanent) contract
Role based in Lagos, Nigeria
Local terms and conditions apply
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.