Broadcast Journalist (Multimedia), Health
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of a historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching new Business daily and weekly TV programme and innovative digital content alongside existing African business output.
We are looking for a Multimedia Broadcast Journalist with excellent spoken English to work in a new Africa Health Unit and launch new health and lifestyle video and TV products for African audiences. The successful candidate will need to have excellent an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media content.
All BBC Africa Health Journalists work across platforms on Television, and digital video production. They will also work across multimedia websites with a focus on digital video, text, interactivity and radio services. The Multimedia Journalist will work as part of the editorial/production team in Lagos for BBC Africa Health and Lifestyle and will meet the BBC’s high editorial standards.
- To report, present, research, write, translate, edit and adapt stories or programme material for BBC Africa Health and Lifestyle TV, radio and online audiences.
- To offer original and creative ideas for multimedia content. To suggest new angles on existing stories and to put forward stories not yet covered.
- To work with graphic designers to produce creative and original graphics sequences.
- To maintain professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBC’s Editorial guidelines.
- To be responsible for a moving story, amending and updating material as required. To be able to freshen a story.
- To be responsible for studio production of live and pre-recorded programmes. To respond to breaking stories whilst on air and to resolve technical difficulties.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will be fluent in written and spoken English. An ability to communicate effectively in a Nigerian language would be advantageous. You will have a good knowledge of what works on TV and digital platforms within the market, a proven track record of coming up with ideas and seeing them through to delivery, ideally in a creative or media environment. It is essential that you have exceptional knowledge of health and lifestyle, in particular stories that appeal to an African audience and excellent contacts.
Continuing contract - local terms and conditions apply
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.