Broadcast Journalist (Multimedia), BBC Africa Sport
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are looking for Multimedia Broadcast Journalists to work in a new Africa Sports Unit and launch new sports video and TV products for African audiences. The successful candidate will need to have excellent knowledge of sport in Africa, global sport, particularly the Premiership and Athletics, and an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media sports coverage.
- To report, present, research, write, translate, edit and adapt stories or programme material for BBC Africa Sport TV, radio and online audiences.
- To offer original and creative ideas for multimedia content. To suggest new angles on existing stories and to put forward stories not yet covered.
- To work with graphic designers to produce creative and original graphics sequences.
- To maintain professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBC’s Editorial guidelines.
- To be responsible for a moving story, amending and updating material as required. To be able to freshen a story.
- To be responsible for studio production of live and pre-recorded programmes. To respond to breaking stories whilst on air and to resolve technical difficulties.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Ability to communicate effectively in another African language is preferable.
- A good knowledge of what works on TV and digital platforms within the market.
- Proven track record of coming up with ideas and seeing them through to delivery, ideally in a creative or media environment.
- Exceptional knowledge of sport, in particular sport that appeals to an African audience and excellent sports contacts.
- Relevant experience as a journalist, both in originating material and editing the work of others, is highly desirable.
- Ability to write scripts and adapt with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media.
- An excellent broadcasting voice and strong reporting skills with the ability to perform with flair.
Salary: Local terms and conditions
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.