Broadcast Journalist Multimedia, BBC Africa, Sport (French speaking)
All BBC Africa Sport Journalists work across platforms, on a multimedia website with a focus on digital video, text, interactivity and radio and TV services. The Multimedia Journalists will work as part of the editorial/production team in London for BBC Africa Sport and will meet the BBCs high editorial standards. They will be responsible for the clear and engaging reporting or presentation of the weekly programme. On a daily basis they will report to a Senior Journalist. Shift work will be required which could include early/late shifts, weekends and public holidays.
- To report, present, research, write, translate, edit and adapt stories or programme material for BBC Africa Sport TV, radio and online audiences.
- To offer original and creative ideas for multimedia content. To suggest new angles on existing stories and to put forward stories not yet covered.
- To work with graphic designers to produce creative and original graphics sequences.
- To maintain professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBCs Editorial guidelines.
- To be responsible for a moving story, amending and updating material as required. To be able to freshen a story.
- To be responsible for studio production of live and pre-recorded programmes. To respond to breaking stories whilst on air and to resolve technical difficulties.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluent in written and spoken English and French. Ability to communicate effectively in another African language is preferable.
- A good knowledge of what works on TV and digital platforms within the market.
- Proven track record of coming up with ideas and seeing them through to delivery, ideally in a creative or media environment.
- Exceptional knowledge of sport, in particular sport that appeals to an African audience and excellent sports contacts.
- Relevant experience as a journalist, both in originating material and editing the work of others, is highly desirable.
Salary: Within grade
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.