Broadcast Journalist (Investigations)
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching new current affairs, features and TV news programmes and innovative digital services in London, Nairobi and Lagos.
BBC Africa’s expansion aims to increase the impact of BBC journalism and strengthen the BBC’s international offer to benefit audiences.
This post is part of BBC Africa’s investigations team. The purpose of the role is to produce a wide variety of multimedia output, but primarily television documentary (30 min and one hour) and digital documentary production to be broadcast across Africa.
- Work with the investigations team in Kenya to research, develop and produce investigative documentary and digital documentary projects.
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism
- Undertake pre and post production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio & digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant recent experience in documentary and investigative documentary production.
- Recent experience working as part of a team of investigative journalists
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage, the programme departments and the audience
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast. Preferable experience in self-op filming and rough cut editing on non-linear systems
Contract: 12 month Fixed Term Contract
Salary: Local Terms & Conditions apply
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.