Broadcast Journalist, Indonesian Service
The BBC Indonesian Service is one of the most successful online services in Global News Languages.
It has a multiplatform website, interactive, video and audio content as part of Mobile First Strategy for the World Service.
Its members of staff are located in London and Jakarta.
The service’s output aims to serve Indonesian-speaking audience in Indonesia, Southeast Asia and the world. They are Indonesian people seeking high-quality news and analysis about Indonesia and the world unavailable from Indonesian providers, in Indonesia and globally.
Digital offer consists of daily world, regional and Indonesia-related news in all genres and formats (text stories, online audio and video) and also a wider portfolio of education, science, sports, entertainment and global news on bbcidonesian.com.
- To originate research, prepare, produce and present items, reports, packages, interviews, discussions, complete programmes, background pieces, analysis and news features.
- To report in text, audio and video from the field in a range of formats with assistance from the VJ team.
- To present live radio programs
- To ensure that any output material for which the post holder is responsible meets the standards required by the BBC.
- To be able to use social media both in Indonesian and English to search for original news source for reporting.
- To contribute to Asia Region’s news agenda and planning as well as other BBC outputs including radio and television on request.
- To deputise for Multimedia Desk Editor and Senior Producers for periods of time as required.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will have:
- A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Bahasa Indonesia as first (or equivalent) language.
- A good knowledge of English, including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Substantial recent and relevant full-time experience as a journalist, both in originating material and editing the work of others.
- Ability to write, adapt and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media, suitable for multimedia output.
- A demonstrable interest in working in a multimedia environment and in encouraging audience involvement.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style of the network. Excellent radio presenting skills and feature making.
- Experience of reporting, in the field, on international and/or Indonesian-speaking political and economic issues.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs in Indonesia. A good knowledge of, and interest in, international and regional affairs.
Contract: 2 years
Grade: Local Terms & Conditions
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.