Broadcast Journalist, Digital Video
BBC Africa reaches a weekly audience of more than 90 million, making it the largest international broadcaster in Africa. It has news and multiplatform content on radio, TV, digital and social media.
We are expanding our TV and digital content in the following genres – Investigations, Business, Children’s News, Sport, Technology, Satire and Women’s Affairs.
We are recruiting for a Broadcast Journalist with digital video experience to join our growing team in Nairobi. This role will produce digital video content for use across BBC Africa; supporting the Africa TV programme genres.
Your role will involve creating bespoke optimized video led content for multiple platforms but with an initial emphasis on You Tube, Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. The role will also be able to reversion and repurpose television content for digital platforms. You will ensure that any output material for which the post holder is responsible meets the standards required by the BBC.
Shift work may be required which could include early/late shifts, weekends and public holidays, so flexibility is essential.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Swahili language skills would be advantageous
- High degree of skill in video production, editing and social storytelling
- Experience of using video editing software similar to Q-edit or FCPX
- In depth understanding of digital and social platforms - the BBC’s and others
- Experience in social-first content production and audience engagement
- Ability to work well with other producers, reporters and teams
- Must be able to work well and calmly in a live newsroom environment; handle a rapidly changing news agenda, and have the temperament to enjoy the process
- Must be able to demonstrate sense of visual awareness as well as technical aptitude
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract: continuing (local terms and conditions apply)
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Kenya
Please submit your application and CV in English
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.