Broadcast Journalist (Digital), BBC Great Lakes
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of a historical and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is increasing its digital operation for the Great Lakes audience.
BBC Great Lakes Service operates a digital first strategy, publishing content online and on social media platforms, this alongside producing radio news and current affairs programmes from London. The service’s focus is to create world-class digital content that makes sense of news and events in Great Lakes region for our local and global audiences.
We are looking for a Digital journalist with excellent written and spoken Kinyarwanda and English language to join the team in Nairobi.
Duties will include:
- Creating digital content in multiple formats, text, images, audio, video and to treat and promote digital content on our various websites and social platforms to service the needs of our audience.
- Producing accurate, informed and interesting news and current affairs, social and cultural content to the highest standards.
- To report, present, research, write, translate, edit and adapt text stories, video or audio material for audiences on digital platforms and radio.
- Thinking through and around editorial problems, developing realistic alternative strategies and approaches.
- Offer ideas for programme content; to suggest new angles on existing stories and to put forward stories not yet covered.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A full command in Kinyarwanda language (written and spoken).
- A good knowledge of what works on digital platforms for the target market.
- Proven track record of producing quality content, and proven editorial judgement.
- Ability to create content with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media.
- Fluent in English and able to communicate effectively.
- Proven track record of coming up with ideas and seeing them through to delivery, ideally in a creative or media environment
- An interest in the developments in the digital market in the Great Lakes area, in East Africa, in Africa and the world.
- A passion for International news, African and Great Lakes news and current affairs as well as history, social issues, business, arts/culture and sports.
For further information please read the full job description which you will find at the bottom of the page.
Continuing (permanent) contract
Role based in Nairobi
Local terms and conditions apply
About the Company
We don't focus simply on what we do; we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you have read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You will be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.