Broadcast Journalist BBC Tigrinya
Africas media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and television migrating from analogue to digital.
The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media.
The BBC World Service will be expanding its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12. Three of the new language services, Amharic, Afaan Oromo and Tigrinya, will serve our audiences in Ethiopia and Eritrea. They will be based in Nairobi from where the BBC produces programmes for Kiswahili and Somali speaking audiences.
Due to this exciting expansion we are looking for journalists who will report into the Editor BBC Tigrinya, to deliver a dynamic range of digital and radio content which will appeal to a young audience. This rare and challenging role will see you assist in leading the team andcreating content to maximisethe BBC World Services impact and potential in Africa, taking into account media conditions in the target area and developments in audio, video, online and mobile platforms.
Some of the key duties will be:
- To research, interview original sources and write reports, analysis and features for the BBC Tigrinya website in a range of formats.
- To help produce and/or present the BBCs live radio programme.
- To respond to breaking stories whilst on air and to resolve technical difficulties.
- To create content to drive the BBC Facebook page and other social media platforms.
- To be able to conduct interviews in audio and video on request, on phone or face-to-face, with authority and in-depth knowledge about the region, especially Eritrea.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Tigrinya.
- A good knowledge of English, including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Wide and up to date familiarity with the target area (especially Eritrea) and an in-depth understanding of its history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience.
- Recent and relevant experience as a journalist and/or reporter would be preferable but not essential.
- Ability to write, adapt and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of social media.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire an appropriate presentation.
- Able to demonstrate a good range of contacts for interview purposes from all walks of life.
- Good keyboard/computer skills and the ability to acquire technical skills and to operate technical equipment. Practical experience and extensive knowledge of the Internet and an understanding of the potential of new technology is essential.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs in the target area as well as a good knowledge of and interest in, international and regional affairs.
- A thorough knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service Group.
- An understanding of the BBCs distinctive news agenda and a wider interest in the strategy of the BBC as a whole.
Salary: Within grade, Local Terms and Conditions Apply
Previous applicants need not apply as we have your application on file and will be considering it as part of our recruitment
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.