Broadcast Journalist, BBC Afrique
As part of the one of the biggest broadcasters in the world, BBC Afrique broadcasts on radio and online via www.bbcafrique.com to Africa from London, England and Dakar, Senegal. Our output is varied with a strong emphasis on regional and international current affairs. From covering breaking news, sport, arts, business, features and challenging decision makers to discussing the issues that affect the daily lives of Africans, our daily programmes are delivered across a range of platforms.
Based in our Dakar office, you will be part a busy journalistic team. Writing, translating and adapting material swiftly and accurately into French, in a style suited to radio, online and mobile journalism, you will also conduct interviews and reports. As well as originating, researching, producing and presenting items, packages and interviews, you will also provide discussions, complete programmes, background, analysis and features for a range of media formats.
- To research, report, write, translate, edit or adapt stories or programme material; to find contributors and interviewees as well as other sources of material and/or actuality, as appropriate and to the required specification whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBC Editorial Guidelines.
- To perform at the microphone with or without a script, conduct interviews, chair discussions and act as a participant in other productions, whether live, pre-recorded or on location.
- To be responsible for a moving story, amending and updating material as required. To be able to freshen a story.
- To be responsible for thinking through and around editorial problems, developing realistic alternative strategies and approaches.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command and up to date knowledge of French (first or equivalent).
- A good knowledge of English including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Wide and up to date familiarity with French speaking Africa and an in-depth understanding of the area’s history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience. An extensive knowledge of the media situation in French-speaking Africa and the way it is developing.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs in French-speaking Africa. A good knowledge of, and interest in, international and British current affairs, particularly insofar as they affect the target area.
Contract: 1 X Continuing & 1 6 month FTC
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
Owing to under representation of female Journalists in our Bureau in Dakar we would particularly welcome applications from female candidates.
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Senegal.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background