Asia Editor, BBC News Online
The BBC News website is one of the world’s largest and most popular news sites, with mobile and desktop editions for different geographic audiences, and UK-facing and International-facing apps. Website teams work closely with other BBC platforms and services to showcase the best journalism from across the BBC.
We are recruiting an Asia Editor who will take editorial responsibility to develop the Asian edition of the BBC News website, including multimedia news and current affairs, background, analysis and features. You will take a strategic view of developments of the BBC's online offering in the region, work with senior stakeholders from across the BBC to shape the editorial approaches in the website's coverage, adapt output as needed to new platforms and changing audience needs and commercial priorities. You'll oversee the Asian news edition, the Asia index, the Australia index, and sub-indices for China and India, and Japanese-language services. The role will require you to be hands-on and work closely with online and other BBC teams in London and Singapore to set up the edition's planning and you will also be in charge of the commissioning budget. Reporting to the website’s World Online Editor in London, you'll lead a team of experienced Journalists in Singapore, India, Australia and Tokyo operating with a high degree of autonomy and decision making.
The Ideal Candidate
You will have a proven track record at a senior level in News with substantial experience in digital news journalism and sound editorial judgement.
In addition, you will have:
- Demonstrable ability to understand the audience need in Asia and translate the BBC’s business strategy to meet audience needs through the website
- Proven editorial judgement, ability to generate original journalism and take quick editorial decisions independently.
- Strong interest and thorough knowledge of the international news agenda.
- Experience of managing culturally diverse teams in multiple locations, ability to motivate and develop staff and coach team members to meet new editorial challenges
- Experience of managing budgets and delivering projects on time within budget.
- Experience in managing change and leading by example
- Substantial experience of the website’s Content Production System or similar CMS
- Ability to work unsupervised and to tight deadlines
Based in Singapore
Local terms and conditions apply
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Singapore.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here