Africa Business Editor (Senior Journalist Team Manager)
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service launched new business daily and weekly TV programming and innovative digital content in English, Swahili and French.
We are looking for a creative and motivated Business Editor to lead the Africa Business Unit for 12 months. You will need to have excellent knowledge of business affairs in Africa, global business, and a deep understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media business coverage as well as a real nose for original, creative journalism.
- To co-ordinate, plan, guide and inspire all business-related coverage across the Africa service and lead on major business news.
- To editorially lead TV and digital business coverage for Africa. Establish and develop strong working relationships with colleagues in the African service, Global News, BBC News, BBC Business and across language hubs.
- To deploy, lead, manage, train, recruit and develop the staff.
- To manage commissioning and production budgets successfully.
- To be a key point of liaison with BBC Business, particularly the Global Business News Editor and the Business Interactive team.
- To encourage original journalism and distinctive, innovative content and share it with the wider BBC.
- To work with Visual Journalism and production teams to develop compelling TV and digital formats.
- To develop a lively and engaged social media approach to business coverage working very closely with the languages digital teams.
- To ensure that the potential of business news is maximised in all African language output and developing new formats and styles.
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent track record of delivering high impact, multiplatform business content for an African audience
- The ability to deliver editorial innovation and develop great digital and TV content and stimulate new thinking about business journalism
- Experience of leading and managing a team of journalists
- Experience of managing budgets and observing tight financial targets
- An understanding of major international business and how to maximise their potential
- Strong planning, negotiation and influencing skills and the ability to co-ordinate and plan business coverage from major events
- Strong communication skills
Contract: 12 month attachment / fixed term contract
Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Kenya.
Job Application Requirements:
- Questionnaire with opportunity to detail your experience
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here