The International Bureaux (IB) team supports all News Group bureaux. The Accountant reports the Finance Manager, Lagos Bureau.
You will report to the Finance Manager for the running of the Lagos Bureau finances. You will be assisting the Finance Manager in running the finance management of the Nigerian Bureaux, in line with the BBC financial guidelines and local legislation. You will deputise for the Finance Manager, as required.
The key task of this role is to provide efficient functioning of the office finance, and to give reliable support to the editorial activity of the Nigerian Bureaux by assisting in the finance area for all divisions, in compliance with the strategic priorities of all parts of the business. In doing so, the post holder will have to work with International Bureaux Finance (IBF), IB teams and the International HRBP.
- Assist in payroll preparation.
- Responsible for operating the advances process and ensuring that appropriate authorisations are in place and records maintained.
- Assist in managing BBC’s taxes profile, i.e. ensuring all taxes are properly recorded, paid and reported.
- Assist the Finance Manager in preparing monthly financial reports, bank reconciliations and petty cash reconciliations.
- Co-ordinating with staff on travel and other expenses and providing guidance on filing of expense claims etc as per BBC policies.
- Ensuring that filing and record keeping is appropriate and in line with the Bureaux Finance Manual and local requirements.
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of a strong financial control environment, and ensure agreed processes are followed.
- Complying with policies and procedures in line with IBF guidelines.
- Assist the Financial Manager in preparing all financial statements; including Management Accounts, statutory accounts, recording each transaction in an appropriate and timely manner in an accounting system.
- Being the custodian of petty cash and required to prepare all records and statements relevant to cash management. Includes;
- Recording office expenditure and managing the budget;
- Responsibility for obtaining prior approval from Line Manager & Authorising Manager in advance, before incurring any expenditure.
- Maintaining a proper cashbook along with all filing of statements, receipts and documents supporting the expenses.
- Filing a monthly statement on the prescribed format on a timely basis.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluent spoken and written English; excellent communications skills and ability to manage remote communication effectively.
- Sound book keeping experience including: working with budgets, producing timely and accurate information and reports, advising managers of cost issues.
- Ability to work unsupervised in a busy and pressurised environment.
- Ability to work with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good IT skills with an intermediate knowledge in Excel preferable.
- Good working knowledge of BBC Health & Safety procedures.
- A lively interest in the broadcast news, online news and wider media environment and appreciation of the particular demands it may place on financial and administrative work.
- Willing to spread best practices to all BBC divisions operating in Cairo.
Salary: Local terms and conditions apply
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.